I recently set up SharePoint 2016 hybrid in a lab environment for customer demos. I thought I would post some quick tips/tricks, specifically for Cloud Hybrid Search based on what I learnt during the configuration –
- Delete your existing on-prem SSA if you have one configured already. The Cloud SSA which you provision as part of the Hybrid picker or the PowerShell scripts replaces this.
- If you get a “The search request was unable to connect to the Search Service” error after deleting your existing on-prem SSA when trying to search for content in on-prem, don’t panic – just wait. This is because it takes time for existing web apps to hook up to the new Cloud SSA. I did edit the connections for my web app and connect to the Cloud SSA proxy manually though so this may have fixed it for me.
- The configuration guide for Cloud Hybrid Search walks through creating a remote result source in the Cloud SSA to ensure on-prem results can still be retrieved. I noticed that this wasn’t actually required when using the PowerShell scripts as this result source was pre-created for me.
- Use the PowerShell scripts – I personally prefer scripting than configuring through the UI but I guess this depends on personal preference.
- Lastly – make sure you logon to Office 365 as a licensed user who exists in your on prem domain unlike me! 🤦♂️ As I was left wondering why on prem search results wouldn’t appear in my O365 search centre!
Hopefully this helps those of you who are on your journey to hybrid – it’s worth it!